2018-2019 Funding Opportunity
“Giving never moves in a straight line – it always moves in circles.”
– Dr. Robert Schuller
The goal of the Sonoma County LGBTQI Giving Circle grant program is to encourage and build a stronger network of people and programs that benefit the local LGBTQI community.
Community Foundation Sonoma County, working with a group of community leaders, launched a giving circle in April 2014 to connect LGBTQI people and increase awareness of and engagement in the issues that affect the LGBTQI community in Sonoma County.
The objectives of the Giving Circle are to:
- Learn about the needs and opportunities for the LGBTQI community
- Encourage and build a stronger network of people and resources
- Donate money to a pooled fund
- Decide together how and to whom we will give those funds
- Foster a greater sense of community and identity for LGBTQI people in Sonoma County.
As of April 2018 there are 103 members of the Giving Circle and the Circle currently has available up to $50,000 to grant to local non-profits.
Although there is a Steering Committee guiding the Giving Circle and the grantmaking process, the entire membership will be reviewing and scoring applications. This participatory process will ensure that every member has a say in the final grantmaking outcome. It also means that each application has the potential of being read by over 100 people, so there is potential that some projects may receive direct support from individual donors.
The purpose of the proposed project, program or initiative must align with the one or more of the following objectives:
In general, Giving Circle members are looking to increase access to, and knowledge of services that support the LGBTQI community in Sonoma County. We are looking for:
- Expansion of services – existing programs that might be expanded
- Integration of services – existing programs that have not included specific outreach to the LGBTQI community
- Coordination of services – coordinating a program with another agency/partner to serve the LGBTQI community
We are interested in applications from one or more of the following categories:
- LGBTQI Youth – expanding, integrating, coordinating services for LGBTQI youth. We have a particular interest in programs that address homelessness, housing, and a safe space to gather, as well as, programs that help connect LGBTQI youth to each other and/or role models in the community.
- Aging LGBTQI Population – expanding, integrating, coordinating services for the aging LGBTQI community, especially affordable housing, basic human needs for the poor, and programs that help the aging LGBTQI community connect to one another and other LGBTQI people.
- LGBTQI Community Building – expanding, integrating, coordinating services for LGBTQI individuals that have the additional benefit of helping to build the LGBTQI community.
We are interested in programs that reach out to the more disenfranchised members of the community – LGBTQI people of color, LGBTQI people whose primary language is other than English, and transgender people and gender-expansive individuals (those whose gender identity and/or gender expression exist outside of traditional gender norms or binary).
Funding may be used for
- Salaries or wages that directly relate to the proposed project
- Marketing/promotional expenses that directly relate to the proposed project
- Program expenses directly relate to the proposed project
- Applications will be solicited: Beginning June 27, 2018
- Applications will be due: August 8, 2018 by 5:00 PM
- Grant recipients will be notified via telephone by: September 21, 2018
- There will be a Celebration and Convening of Grantees during the year-end holidays.
- Must have a 501(c)(3) status or be a government entity conducting charitable work
- A project with 501 (c) (3) fiscal sponsorship would qualify
- Must currently serve or intend to serve LGBTQI residents in Sonoma County
Value of Grants
Grants will range from $5,000 to $10,000.
How to Apply
- Submit a Cover Sheet, Application Narrative and Budget. Download forms:
- We will only accept applications via electronic submission.
- Please email information to: email@example.com, Mr. J Mullineaux, Vice President for Philanthropic Planning, Community Foundation Sonoma County